Friday, May 11, 2007

Coming at you from all sides

Usually I use slow Friday mornings at work to write short stories that no one will ever read, but I'm not in the mood today.

I was friends with this kid in high school. He was really nice. He had a couple younger brothers and I even met his mom once and she was a wonderful woman. The crime was pretty awful. 5 (young, black) guys decided to go rob a drug dealer and in the process shot him. That is fucked up. They definitely did something wrong. They definitely deserved to get in to trouble for this, but (and I am not saying this just as his friend because I don't even know the other kids) I don't think that the sentences are fair. Ponds, Rera, and Presley were not even present when the shots were fired. The ringleader in all this is Adam Jones who is clearly a bad guy. Look at his fucking rap sheet. He has committed multiple violent crimes. The kid that actually fired the shot, the one that got them in all this trouble that they wouldn't be in otherwise, is clearly not all there. And that is fucked up. These kids are going to be serving many years (though probably not full sentences). Carlos Fuentes will probably get life in prison which is just disgusting.
I have also been keeping up with another case. A friend of mine was friends with one of these kids. These kids beat a homeless man to death with a baseball bat, or 2 of them did anyway. ON TAPE. And they beat other people. Defenseless people that didn't have a fucking home to go to. Just because they could. Look at his charges! It is ridiculous. I want to see what happens here. Clearly, what these kids did was worse. But my friend, and those other kids, are black, lower middle class people from a predominantly white (pretty racist) town in central Florida. These other kids are white and presumably wealthy. Their crime was worse (although you could argue that they are as mentally fucked up as Carlos, though in a different way). I want to see the end result of both these trials, because what I think is going to happen is pretty fucked up and I hope it doesn't come to fruition.

No comments: