Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Since everyone else is doing it


It is the six year anniversary of Sept. 11th. I have a lot of political opinions about the whole situation (from the US response to New York's handling of ground zero), but that isn't for here. A lot of great fictions has come out of the events and since I love books, it is what is being addressed today.
The Zero by Jess Walters. I already talked about this book because it is so good and so engrossing that thinking about anything else while you are reading it is impossible. It is entirely disjointed. Reading the book makes you feel like I imagine you would have felt had you been at the World Trade Center that day. It is unclear who is a hero and who is a coward, who is lying and who is trustworthy, what is going on and why. The book is just amazing and deeply effective.
Falling Man by Don Delillo. To be fair, I haven't read this book, but I plan to and it is going to be fantastic. Not only is Delillo incredibly talented, but he has an astounding grasp of the human condition.
I was going to post the image of the Falling Man, but I can't bring myself to, as I still find the picture overwhelming and I don't think it is fair to surprise people with it.
And to end on a cheery note:
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Sept. 11th
Sept. 11th who?
You said you'd never forget!

Have a good Patriot Day. Be nice to people.

[image from Amazon.com]

No comments: