Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Follow Up

This event has led me to write a letter, something I never do:
I am a UF alum and current staff member. When I originally saw the video of what happened to Mr. Meyer, I was aghast. Looking further into the incident, I felt that mistakes were made on both sides. Meyer shouldn't have resisted arrest and the officer shouldn't have used the Taser on him. After spending the day learning more and more about the incident and listening to people's outlandish reactions, I have come to believe that the UPD was, while not entirely correct, trying to handle the situation appropriately. I do not think the entire department should have to endure anger and harassment from the community because of the overreaction of one officer. I am very liberal and a strong supporter of free speech, but I don't see this as even a remotely political issue and I am sorry to see this devolve into such a debate. If someone is flailing while running at a sitting US Senator, then he should be removed and possibly detained. I would just like to say that I hope the charges are not dropped against Meyer as he clearly broke the law and his action was premeditated.

No comments: