Friday, August 17, 2007

This is so long

We are still in California. Let's play catch up.
Wednesday, we ate brunch at Mama’s. It was good though I don’t know if it was worth the wait. I should have gotten pancakes and fruit, the ultimate test of quality.
We checking into our hotel room, at Hotel Metropolis. It was on the border of a shady-ish neighborhood, but the hotel itself was wonderful. There was a mix-up with my reservation but everything turned out okay (though slightly more than I expected).


We shopped. I spent way too much money at Anthropologie, but I got a beautiful dress and a very pretty skirt and a shirt that I am still nervous about, though it looks nice on me so I think I am happy. I also bought a kick ass pair of red Nike’s from Urban Outfitters. They are a boy’s size six and they were the display shoes so they were half off and then UO was having a sale (probably online too) that gave half off anything on sale which brought the $80 shoes down to $20. They were also a million times better for walking around than my beat-up old Asics.

We walked around the city a bunch and shopped more and ate at Blondie’s (I am officially a bigger fan of Fat Slice) before heading back to our room and hanging out before we went to our show. It was at the Great American Music Hall (a beautiful venue), which is on O’Farrell St. O’Farrell scared me very much (mostly all the homeless) and I felt guilty about being afraid, but in my defense, the Florida homeless don’t wear large coats (because it is a million degrees) and the San Francisco homeless do, so they look bigger and more menacing.

-The weather has been beautiful-
The show! It was so awesome. The crowd was very cool, very indie, but not like pretentious indie. Everyone was a lot of fun and really seemed to enjoy themselves. The first act was Ingrid Michaelson. She was amazing. I had no idea who she was or what to expect, but she had a beautiful voice and a charming personality and I just adored her. She played with Ally Ross who I developed a crush on during the show, so much so that when she waved to the audience I WAVED BACK. I felt like such a nerd, but man, she was lovely. They were so good and the crowd for them was small but adoring. I felt so bad for the people that showed up late and missed them. Had they been it, it still would have been worth the $15 ticket. BUT then, The Little Ones performed. I had also never heard of them and AGAIN I was amazed by the quality. They were so good and energetic. They were quite a bit different than Ingrid Michaelson, but I was able to dance to them and the songs were so catchy and fun. Again, the show was only $15! It was so good. Finally (though it didn’t take long really) The Magic Numbers performed and I almost died a little. They are larger than life in so many senses (including the fact that they are all a bit overweight). Their set was amazing and even the lesser songs from the albums were good live. They didn’t perform one song I wanted to hear, but everything sounded so good that I was okay with it. I stood right in front of Angela which was a good place to be as she was the most adorable of the bunch. After their set ended, I asked one of the staff members from GAMH for the set list when he got back onstage. Not only did he give it to me, but he said “Only for you, darling,” which, of course, I adored.
The next day we went to Specialty’s for breakfast (I love Specialty’s) and cookies and the cookies were amazing, as usual.

We then headed to Chinatown, through North Beach, to Pier 39 (for In-N-Out) and then back up through North Beach to Union Square where I got See’s Candy and some lipgloss from Sephora (I didn’t have much time there),
We took the ferry home and I took a million pictures of everything, including San Quentin, because I am obsessed with prisons. I also got some beautiful shots of the city.


Today, we went to Berkeley and had a wonderful time. I got a Cal t-shirt, a beautiful vintage skirt, a Criterion, some comics/graphic novels/zines, books, and more In-N-Out (though in Mill Valley, there isn’t one in Berkeley). We went to all the best places: Rasputin’s (the other one), Amoeba (the other one), Mars (thrift shop), Crossroads (thrift shop), the campus bookstore (lame), Comic Relief (HUGE comic shop), Half Priced Books (bookstore), and Tully’s (coffee shop with good tea). The Berkeley campus was beautiful and the weather was perfect. It was a little warm in Berkeley, it got all the way up to 75. I have enjoyed driving the Infiniti we are borrowing from James’ family It drives really fun. Plus, driving in California is kickass. People aren’t slow and meek like in Florida.
I miss Gator Dawgs and the people, but other than that I would love to never leave. Tomorrow, we are headed to San Anselmo. And tonight, we are going to Fairfax (we hate Fairfax) to see Superbad.

No comments: