Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Haha They're SO Fun!

Image hosting by Photobucket
I love love love Bella! I wish them all the luck in the world with their new album. Notice I didn't call them cute? Reason:

I read an old New York Times article about cuteness. I think I read it when it originally ran, but I didn't have anywhere to write about it. It made me really rethink my use of the word cute and my desire to be cute. As the article puts it: "Cute cues are those that indicate extreme youth, vulnerability, harmlessness and need." The idea that anyone would strive for those things is ridiculous and kind of disgusting. Who would want to be extremely young (though I do concede my desire to look youthful, I don't think I take it to an extreme) and vulnerable? At times, I think vulnerability is important. No one should force themselves to be guarded all the time. It isn't something you should work at being (unless, of course, you are unapproachable). Harmlessness is okay though still not an admirable trait. And outside of childhood, neediness is just sad. Learn to take care of yourself! There is very little a person CANNOT do for themselves. Not that I am the fully free from wishing to be any of those things, but I am going to work on not aiming for that and not calling people cute as a compliment unless they are children.

No comments: