Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dave Eggers Rules My World

He puts together the best books I have ever read. Awhile back, I read What is the What and it was fantastic, just amazing. Today I finished Surviving Justice: America's Wrongfully Convicted and Exonerated.


The book is engaging and broken up into short segments so it is a great book to carry with you and read when you get a chance. It really makes you think about the penal system. Some of these people were on death row. They were supposed to be executed for a crime they didn't commit. And it isn't like the West Memphis Three, where everyone knows they didn't do it. There people's families turned on them. It is so heartbreaking. I really think it is important that people read books like this. I agree with Adam Carolla and his idea that "juror" should be a paid government job, like a cop. These people should need degrees and accurately represent the area population. They should know about law. I can convince someone who knows nothing about something to believe anything and that is what happened in a lot of these cases. I would also strongly recommend watching The Wire on HBO. Other than the fact the Omar is a total badass, the show gives you a really good look at what life is really like for criminals and cops. I found myself unsurprised by some of the things I read because I knew from The Wire that is was happening. Also, The Wire is clever, engaging, well-directed, well-shot, and well-written. It is literally the BEST television show I have ever seen and I watch a lot of TV.
But back to the book, I hope to find a signed copy while I am in San Francisco. The one I read is from the library and I am devastated I have to give it back. It is that good.

No comments: