Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Contact from Professor

The professor at my current school that went to school #2 emailed me back and was very positive. I emailed him more details and I am excited about him getting back to me. I didn't think it would go this smoothly. I honestly thought it would be very awkward (the only awkward moment was me noticing I used a homophone of a word instead of the correct one, but he overlooked it!).

What I said basically, is:
Dr. His Name

I was looking through the public policy website here and noticed your name. I am planning to apply to [your alma mater] and I was wondering if you could sit down with me to discuss the school.

I saw on the faculty biography page that you are interested in [stuff] and I am too. Have you seen [tv show relating to stuff]? It is excellent.

Worked very well. And he offered to put me in contact with people at every school I am applying to (if he knows someone). So I emailed him back more information, honed in on my interests, and am waiting on another response. All in all, a success!

I also emailed a former supervisor, caught her up on my plans, and asked if she will write me a recommendation letter. I am planning to use her as a 4th letter. All the schools require three, but I will send four in case someone flakes. At some schools, it could hurt me because you need two academic references and neither that I asked so far is academic, but I would at least like to get three letters there, you know? Maybe they won't notice they are not academic since they all work for my university.

Also, I can just see 10 months from now posting that I got in nowhere. VERY POSSIBLE. But if so, I will tell you why so you can avoid my mistakes.

No comments: